After the American Century
President Biden said two days ago that he did not think it wise to continue providing intelligence briefings to Mr. Trump, now that he is no longer president. Since it is well known that Trump did not regularly read those briefings when he was president, this seems wise. Look at the benefits:
- it will save paper, which is good for the environment
- an expert will not waste time shortening and simplifying reports down to Trump's level.
- Trump's name will not be juxtaposed with "intelligence." This is the guy who, asked what books he would recommend, declared, ""The Bible blows them away. There's nothing like it, the Bible."
- Trump will not accidentally or intentionally disclose sensitive information, such as his cures for COVID-19 or his advice on wearing a mask
- Trump can speak freely if he is not encumbered with facts. This will ensure that talk show hosts and stand-up comedians continue to receive fresh material.
- Trump will not be able to use top secret information when investing in the stock market. Insider trading has become something of a Republican speciality. However, they should not be spoon fed insider information, but forced to find it for themselves.
- Trump cannot share information with his friends overseas (no names please! but some of them live in North Korea, Moscow, and Brazil.)
- Trump can stay inside his bubble, where the crowds at his inauguration will always be the biggest in history, where his cures for COVID 19 will remain effective, where his presidency was really, really great, and where his bankruptcies and scandals do not exist. If he gets no briefings,then his self-delusions will remain unspoiled, and he will be a happier man.
Trump has always preferred his own facts to anyone else's, so why disturb him with expert opinions?